Using Google AdSense to pay for Google AdWords
I’m doing a thought experiment. Can I use the revenue from Google AdSense on my site to pay for Search Engine Marketing on Google AdWords? Essentially setting up a self-funding SEM process that will increase the reach of my site.
I realise that AdWords and AdSense are different Google systems that don’t link directly together. I will need to transfer funds from one system to another but that should be pretty easy to do.
Here’s what I’m thinking…
1. Setup & configure Google AdSense to display banner ads on my site.
2. Build a float from Google AdSense revenues.
3. Setup & configure Google AdWords.
4. Pay for AdWords campaigns from Google AdSense float by transferring money across.
5. Create a virtuous cycle where AdWords drives traffic to the site who sometimes click on AdSense banner ads.
Well that’s the theory… I’m sure that in practice it might end up quite differently to this. (Nb: Google doesn’t allow what it terms arbitrage, which is driving traffic using AdWords to a site that is primarily just a vehicle for AdSense ads.)
Some interesting articles on this are below.
- Can I transfer AdSense earnings to my AdWords account? https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/78521?hl=en-AU
- AdWords policy on arbitrage https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190442?hl=en
I’m not aiming to make money out of this, just increase the reach & impact of my blog, and to see if it will work.
As a backup, I’m prepared to inject $50 of cash into AdWords to try and prime things as well.
Fingers crossed. I’ll keep you posted.
If you have any views, I’d be interested in learning how this should / could work.